Monday, October 19, 2015

Fall Golf and My Top 3 Golf Courses in Metro Detroit for Fall

I love playing golf this time of year. The weather is cooler and the leaves are changing color. It does require some planning and watching the weather forecast closely. Do not rely on the forecast alone for your preparations. I find it always best to check the radar with any of the various weather apps and look outside your window. Once you decide to go for it, the best thing to do is be prepared with multiple layers of golf gear. If you are like me, you can never have enough golf gear. I get a lot of nice gear at discount from Amazon.com and 6pm.com. Gear from Callaway, Oakley, Under Armour, and Puma are always on these sites, sometimes for as little as $10. I recommend checking these websites out.
You have your gear ready, now it is time to pick a course. You have to be selective this time of year because not all golf courses are good for fall golf. Not if you want to find your ball anyway. I find the best courses are Links courses because they have few if any trees. A nice bonus this time of year is the heather is usually laying down a bit as well making those errant shots a little easier to find and play. But who hits those? We are lucky in Michigan and in the Metro Detroit area to have so many great golf courses. For my top 3, I am using value, course conditions, and course character to choose my favorites. Not in any particular order, they are:
  • ·       Blackheath Golf Club in Rochester
  • ·       Sanctuary Lake Golf Course in Troy
  • ·       Gateway Golf Club in Romulus
  • Blackheath #6
    Blackheath Par 3
    Blackheath Par 3

    Sanctuary Lake #1



    Sanctuary Lake

These are great fall golf Links style courses. Very few trees and ball hiding leaves and they all keep course conditions in great shape. All three can be played for $20 or less in the fall using Golfnow.com or other discount tee time websites. If you haven’t played these courses, I recommend you add these to your fall rotation. For those of you who may have played Gateway in the past few years, they are under new ownership, and the course is in fantastic shape.


I am planning to go play Forest Dunes this coming weekend to check another great course off my must play list, so if anyone has any advice, please share. 

Last week I shared some of Dave Pelz's videos on short game. The YouTube video below is from the guys at Meandmygolf.com. They have a lot of videos on YouTube that you can subscribe to and you can send them questions as well. Check them out. 




3 comments:

  1. I LOVE golfing in the fall! Nothing beats being out on a golf course in september/october. You can't beat the discounted rates, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great page! We share almost the same opinion on the best golf rangefinder. My personal favorite is rangefinder

    ReplyDelete